Why is it so important to set goals for your business? Do You Have Goals for Next Year?
One of the best ways to drive the growth and development of your business is by setting clear, inspiring goals, towards which everyone within the organisation can focus their efforts. Without a goal,many business owners struggle to inspire their teams to work to a common cause.Without a clear objective, it is very easy to wander off track and become distracted by projects that will not actually help your business get to where it needs to be.
Do you have a long term goal or vision that underpins all of your planning for the future?
What does this goal need to cover? One way to set goals is by using the SMART approach. This is where you create goals that are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Timed. This is a good way to start, if you’ve never set goals before, as it gives you a framework to work with. An example might be “To double our turnover within 12 months.”
However, does a goal that you know you can achieve in a set timescale inspire you to try harder and to push your business? If you’re really looking to grow, then would a goal that feels slightly out of reach actually drive to you achieve more?
Here are a few more reasons to set goals:
- Goals propel you forward. Having a goal written down with a set date for achieving it gives you something to plan and work for. A written goal is an external representation of your inner desires; it’s a constant reminder of what you need to accomplish.
- Goals turn insurmountable mountains into walkable hills. It’s easy to feel discouraged when you’re staring at a massive mountain. Proper goal setting can help break larger, intimidating aspirations into smaller, more achievable stepping stones. Planning towards these smaller goals not only makes it easier to formulate a definite plan of action that you can start working on right away, but research has shown that hitting smaller milestones provides real motivation and greater contentment. Celebrating your small wins is a great way to keep going!
- Goals show you what’s working and what isn’t. If you don’t write down concrete goals and give yourself a timeline for reaching them, how can you look back and re-evaluate your path? If you look back at a goal you set for yourself and see that you didn’t achieve it, it’s assign that whatever you’re doing isn’t working, and you need to make real changes if you want to get where you want to be.
- Goals tell you what you truly want. There are times when you might set goals that don’t really reflect what you want. You might think that you need more money, when really you need a change of environment. If you think that you want more free time, what you really want may be work that you can be truly passionate about. Do you want to be alone or do you really need to be around more positive people?
- Goals help us live life to the fullest. When you take the time to set goals, you make sure that your life is geared towards getting the most out of every moment. There’s so much to do and experience in life, but many of the things we want to achieve and experience won’t be handed to us – we need to work for it.
Do you have a goal for the next 12 months of your business? If not and you need help deciding what to aim for, get in touch to find out how we can help. We have a number of tools and techniques that we use to help our clients set goals and develop the plans they need to achieve them. Call Jonathan Lane on 07503 891 331, Patrick Doyle on 07425 150 238 or Pippa Hutchinson on 0794 181 9169, or click here to email us to ask us about our Business Barometer.